Sunday, April 05, 2009
Talking Small
I’ve had this lifelong dilemma. Picture yourself amongst a group of people you’ve never met. You’re sitting in a circle, or meeting someone for the first time. Everyone’s trying to make small talk, but no one is particularly good at it. Someone asks where you’re from, what you do, and then a certain amount of dread washes over you. You know what’ s next. You can feel it. It is the question that only 10% of the population knows how to answer. Time freezes and you hear the words spoken in slow motion like the scene in “A Christmas Story” where Ralphie says the f-word.

“What’s your hobby?”

At that moment, I would rather be bitten by a rattler than answer. At least then I would have something interesting to talk about. “Um…I don’t know. I guess I work a lot.” All hope of being labeled “Cool” is gone. “Lame” is most likely how someone would describe me upon hearing my response. My insides curl up and instead of throwing the question back at them, I retreat, “Um…I’m gonna check out the food table.”

I’m sharing this with you to let you know that I’ve entered a new era. Yes, friends, be encouraged! I have an answer to the most loathed question in the history of small talk. Are you ready?

“As a matter of fact, I like to garden.”

Big sigh of relief! Now, before you label me “Grandma” just relish in the fact that I’ve joined the elite 10%. It may not be the hippest hobby; maybe it’s nothing to write home about. But it’s a better answer than the first 25 years. Hooray.







This is how Allie feels about it.


8 Comments:

Blogger Kara Sheets said...

well, gardener erika...i might need you to come check out my tomato plants and let me know if the pH is up to par :)
your plants look great, and i am glad that you can be a part of conversation again without sweating or dropping the fbomb.

Blogger kristin fulghum said...

i agree...i absolutely hate that question. i usually lie and say something like working out, yoga or cooking. glad you have a new hobby!

Blogger Jessica said...

I LOVE HAVING A BEAUTIFUL PORCH!
even if it means my roommate's 85.

:)

Blogger annalee said...

i think i recognize some of those beautiful planters. excellent work hobby girl.

Blogger Kristen said...

pictures turned out great! glad I got to visit you in your garden!!

Blogger Jen said...

that is a terrible question. i still lie to people and tell them that i like to read. even though i haven't since probably samoa.

Blogger Cassie said...

I love that you love to garden! You need to come over and get busy on my yard:) Miss you , friend.

Blogger Amy Jo said...

i echo allie's thoughts.and i can't wait to come hang out this summer!! maybe we can do another back yard photo shoot? we could even include some of your plants.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer