Wednesday, October 01, 2008
What I know.
I went to a writer's workshop last summer. I'm one of those people who loves teacher workshops. I'm pretty sure I cry every time, "(insert shaky voice) I'm so glad I'm a teacher. I get to love kids." Anyway...they said, "Write about what you know." That makes a lot of sense. I'm not going to write about quantum physics or something ridiculously out of my league.

Here's a few things I know to date:
-work=tired, but boredom is worse
-you will not be successful in life without help (i.e. moving into a classroom in 2 days)
-relationships are the best and hardest things around
-choose roommates wisely
-sweet tea isn't nearly as satisfying as Dr. Pepper
-if you have friends, swallow your pride and plan to meet them.
Example: All four years of college, I NEVER planned to meet friends for chapel. Everyday, I sat in a new spot around people I didn't know. If only Jen and I had planned a meeting place! I think it would have saved us much anxiety and multiple chapel probations that resulted in suspension from school (or worse).

There's more, I think. If I learn anything else, I'll write another post entitled, "What I know that I didn't".

This is the small project that just happens to have consumed (happily) the last month and a half of my life.

Before


After


All aboard the reading boat! I cannot take credit for this fun addition to my classroom this year. Annalee so graciously donated it. Don't you wish you were a kid again?


6 Comments:

Blogger Kenli Shea said...

you make me laugh out loud. I really need to see you. you better not tell my girls the truth about me in college. haha.

Blogger Kara Sheets said...

you are wise my friend.
i remember being nervous before chapel all the way through my senior year...and you're right...we just need to swallow our pride and reach out! duh!
love your classroom and the reading boat. you are the coolest teacher these kids will ever have.

Blogger annalee said...

what i know:
1) i love your classroom
2) that roommate pic is awesome
3) i miss you lots, for real
4) therefore, i squealed with delight when i got rubey's text y'all are coming
5) hurry up and get your booty to warrenton!

Blogger Jen said...

yes, we should have planned for chapel, and then classes, and then when we were in the same class randomly, maybe we should have sat at the same table and been in the same group. even samoa was an option we didn't explore until someone else asked if we wanted to go together. duh!!!

Blogger Sam said...

I like your classroom and the reading boat looks like fun! I also think it is funny that you didn't plan to meet for chapel, I remember getting kind of panicked when all my friends ditched chapel and I sat in our regular area all by myself. I was also a total dork and went to chapel when I would visit Taylor and I wasn't even going to ACU anymore, I would always get there super early and then panic that no one would show up and I would be the biggest nerd that went to chapel when I didn't go to ACU and I was alone.

Blogger Laura Webb said...

I love your boat!! I wish I had room for that!! Your class looks great!! Miss ya! Hess

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer