Monday, October 13, 2008
Thoughts on the Economic Crisis: as told by a 25 year old, middle class, single, female
Did my groceries really just cost $80? Looks like I'll be eating and driving this month...not much more.

Isn't the number on my investment statement (singular) supposed to be rising? Yikes.

Carpool? Brilliant.

Somehow, I went through 16 years of education with only a semester of economics. I don't remember much about the class. I remember my teacher was a creepy man who was about 80. It was rumored that he gave good grades to flirty girls. I intentionally wore trashy clothes and acted apathetic the day I had class. It was my way of protesting unfair and illegal treatment. The simplest concepts boggled my mind! Supply and Demand: when supply goes up demand goes down? When demand goes up, shouldn't supply, but then supply goes back down? Shouldn't they both be rising? Help.

Needless to say, I don't know much about the technicalities of economics and money. I do know a few things from life experiences. We have the ability to make smart choices with our money, and we should. But when it comes right down to it, we don't have much control. Yes, we can work hard. But isn't the ability to work a gift in and of itself? Even when we have "nothing" we will still be provided for.

When I graduated from college, I had like a billion dollars of loans taken out. When I found out (because I didn't exactly know what I was doing), it was like I had been hit by a train. To my great surprise, I wouldn't take the experience back. Why? Because I learned.

This is how I want to approach all seasons of personal and national economics: keep working, be thankful, and give up control.


6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Erika!! I am economically challenged too!! I am glad I am not alone...I spent $95 at HEB last week. Hoping this food lasts 'till Christmas. :) Glad I got to see you Saturday.

Blogger Lindsay Norsworthy said...

Hey Erika! I found your blog and have enjoyed reading and catching up with you. I just entered the blogging world after I had Avery. I hope all is well with you. I got to see Allie a few weeks ago and your parents. Miss you and hope to see you next time I come to Austin.

Blogger Kenli Shea said...

trashy clothes huh? Nice. haha

Blogger Lyndi said...

Erika! So good to find your blog! Hang in there!

Blogger Jen said...

he was out of control funny, plus he had dance moves to match his costume. i had to google travis trit but when i did i laughed out loud.

Blogger Cliff said...

Not surprising that almost nobody gets a good education when it comes to money. They don't even tell you anything in college, because perhaps if you thought about your debts and student loans, you might decide against going to college to begin with!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer